Re: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?

Subject: Re: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:18:18 -0400

Coming in late on this thread, but I have to side with Goober.

I heard about a study (sorry, keep your groin covered) a few months ago that looked at the lifetime earnings (to date) of a cohort of students who had been accepted by Harvard. The authors compared the results for individuals who chose to attend Harvard with the results for people who decided to go to "lesser" schools, and I think they also looked at people who dropped out or decided not to attend at all, although I may be misremembering that part. There was no statistical difference.

What they concluded was that lifetime earnings are strongly influenced by the qualities that get you into college but not influenced in any important way by where you go or whether you get a degree. In other words, how bright you are rather than whom you know.

I'll also pick Dan's side over John's. The purpose of getting an education is to become an educated person--a goal some of us think important and others consider effete. If you want to learn a trade, fine; but that's an unrelated pursuit. (John's position strikes me as the essence of Philistinism, but the world needs Philistines, too. <g>) Getting any particular degree doesn't indicate, these days, whether you went to school to become educated or to learn a trade, however; so the letters after one's name remain irrelevant in my opinion.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com