RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?

Subject: RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters?
From: "Carol Anne" <thepracticalscot -at- myway -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:45:04 -0400 (EDT)

For me, the Tech Comm Masters degree that I am working on will provide credibility. I came by technical writing through the back door. My undergrad work is in the Natural Science (Chem, Bio) and education.

If you look at most tech writing job, they're looking for someone with a degree in tech comm, English, communications, journalism, etc. My resume would get dumped in the trash (or computer trash bin) in a millisecond. Doesn't matter that I have 15+ years experience. I don't have "the keywords".

The other thing the program gives me is some personal validation. I'm finding all the things I have picked up on my own are correct. It also provides some extra fire-power in a discussion. Not that I need to do that very often. But again, the degree I'm pursusing gives me some credibility here at work.

Carol Anne

Carol Anne Wall

St. Paul, MN USA

"The human condition consists primarily of boredom and a lack of sleep." -- Guy Noir, Private Eye

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com