RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters? (Long response)

Subject: RE: What is the value of Tech Comm Masters? (Long response)
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:27:38 -0500

Also chiming in way late here (we digest version subscribers are often
at a distinct disadvantage).

My take... take the time you might invest in the master's degree program
and invest it in education in an area that might give you insight into
something you'd like to be describing in your work. Having
subject-matter background knowledge is, to me, far more valuable than an
advanced degree.

Matter of fact, I'm probably the exception here, but I don't even have a
bachelor's degree. I was out of work in the early 80s and the local
vocational school began an associate degree program they called
Robotics... Associate in Applied Science Electromechanical Technology.
Nowdays, they'd probably call it something with "Multidisciplinary" in
the title because it covered a broad range of subjects including
electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, industrial controls, computer and
programming. I enrolled in that program and was in the first (1985)
graduating class. I littered the countryside with resumes, applying for
anything I felt even remotely qualified for (and papering the walls of
my home office with rejection letters in the process).

Among the jobs I applied for was a position as a technical writer even
though I had only one technical writing course (a required course in the
associate degree program but only vaguely related to what I now think of
as technical writing). I interviewed for the job, presenting as a sample
of my writing a small essay I'd done about a car I'd owned. Dave, the
publications manager there, for whatever reason (probably mostly related
to the fact that he could get me cheap), offered me a position as an
entry-level technical writer. I learned an awful lot in that first job
as a technical writer and I'll always be grateful to Dave for taking a
chance on me. I stayed with the company for 8? years until business took
a swan dive.

After I'd been there about four years the same vocational school began
an associate degree program in technical communication. Having one
associate degree and several years of experience, I was able to use my
previous coursework and test out of some other courses and only have to
take a half-dozen courses to become the first graduate (1991) in the new
program.

So that's the long introduction to my point that I've had a long (18
year) career (and as far as I'm concerned very successful) as a
technical writer without a bachelors degree. However, my associate
degree in electromechanical technology has served me very well. It's
given me background knowledge that enabled me to grok the stuff the
engineers and programmers were putting together.

I've only encountered one situation where it had a negative impact on
me... that was just recently when the recruiter for the agency I was
working for wanted to submit me for a position but the client was
absolutely adamant that they would not consider anyone without a
bachelors degree or higher. Eh!! Whoop de do.

Over the years and in the many, many job interviews I've had, that's the
ONLY time my lack of a bachelors degree has been mentioned. What's
gotten me many positions/projects has been my experience and my ability
to understand highly technical subject matter.

So there's the long, windy response to the question. I'm fairly sure it
wasn't what the original questioner expected but as others who've
responded to the question have said, it's being able to get the job done
that's important to many employers.

Mike Starr
(breaking my self-imposed vow of techwr-l silence for the first time in
several years)

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com