RE: Showing the project timeline to everybody [SOLVED]

Subject: RE: Showing the project timeline to everybody [SOLVED]
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:03:32 -0400

All,

Thanks to Yvonne (responding off-list, within moments of my
request), the solution (at least for MS Project 2000) is:

Edit > Copy Picture

It allows you to specify the date range that you want
captured, the rows that interest you, and the output
(we chose .gif for now).

Note, if you have a big chart, you MUST click "Selected Rows".
Otherwise, the function will try to take a "screen" view,
while at the same time trying to satisfy your requested date
range... then it'll complain that the picture you are requesting
is too big for many applications (because it'll be much bigger
than a screen).

If you choose selected rows, you get everything you want in
a zoomed-down gif. When you zoom it up, all the detail is
perfectly preserved for the full range that you needed.

USAGE NOTE:
I wanted this because I (the lone writer) am finally formalizing
my planning in a planning document that will go to other
departments. Part of that planning package is a Content Specification
for all the docs that are being created/updated for the current
project, and the other part is the schedule/timeline with all
the milestones and responsibilities depicted (a la MS Project
Gantt view). They get to ponder it and sign-off.

Other people wanted it for their own reasons, but mostly so
that the various managers could stop killing trees and
burning engine time on the expensive color printer, when giving
people their personalized planning/scheduling charts.

We assign different colors to people in our groups, so
they can easily follow their own involvement/commitments
in the overall planning, thus everybody needs to see the
chart in color.

Nobody has formal training; anybody using MS Proj here picked
it up on the fly, so nobody recognized when they were looking
right at this solution. Hope it proves useful to others.

/kevin

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com