Re: credibility

Subject: Re: credibility
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:43:38 -0700 (PDT)

To a degree, I think technical writers are in a unique
spot compared to other professions.

Most co-workers and managers have been writing in
their native language since they were three. Most have
not been engineering or programming since that age.

Thus, some co-workers and managers might believe they
are proficient technical writers. I see this sometimes
with regards to translation. It is perceived that all
one needs to do to translate a software doc is to give
it to a programmer who is a native speaker of the
language in question.

It can be difficult, I would imagine, for a
professional technical writer to make headway in an
organization where the path was blocked at every turn
by those managers who believed in their own writing
skills over those of the professional.

And, Goob, are you comparing the possible existance of
such "flat" management structures to unicorns and
flying pigs, or to giant squid and gorillas?

Cheers,

Sean

--- Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Yeah, but how realistic is it to be challenged on
> everything, all the time, no matter how small or
> large? I mean, that would imply that there are at
> least 20 managers working on every project and each
> one has a different objective and sphere of
> influence,
> sometimes over other managers. And, that would
> require
> executive orders to just be quiet and play along.
> But
> no, I don't think such situations exist.

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com