Re: Microsoft Activation ... UGH

Subject: Re: Microsoft Activation ... UGH
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:13:52 -0400

Andrew Plato
> Companies don't make products for people to steal. Theft from a big,
global,
> monopoly isn't "more okay" then theft from a mom & pop store

Software that repeatedly demands to phone home and download secret encrypted
codes steals my time and my peace of mind. It is not "okay" for a company to
steal this from me just because I am a small company instead of a big
company.

Note that if you spend enough you can usually get a corporate version that
is activation-free. Software makers that provide this differential are
making a clear statement about how they perceive and value you. They are
telling you they do not really want to sell or support consumer products.

Fortunately, simple consumer action (or inaction) will eventually put a stop
to product activation (Hello, Intuit!).Product activation will eventually be
seen as a disastrous money-losing fad.

Open-source applications will also put a stop to product activation. And the
best part is, you don't even have to use an open-source app yourself - but
if enough people do, it will strike enough fear into the big vendors that
they will remove product activation.

If you want to use Windows or Office without activation, just use the old
versions, before product activation was invented - they still work.

Mike O.

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com