Re: Punctuation

Subject: Re: Punctuation
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:38:42 -0400

"John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com> wrote on 10/15/2003 05:41:14 PM:
> However, certain rules are written in stone and certain
> rules are a little more fluid. Someone who REALLY
> understands the rules knows which one are inviolate and
> which ones are not.

Unfortunately the bloodiest battles are fought over the least important fluid
rules. Even more unfortunate is that many of these battles are not over
punctuation and involve the spilling of real blood.

I think the unfortunate reality is only a few people can actually understand the
rules. The vast majority of people were taught/forced/brainwashed to only follow
the rules, through laziness/inertia don't want to spend the energy to
understand, or quite simply can't handle their world perception being challenged
with anything other than binary yes/no, black/white, good/evil argumentation.
Because in accepting classification, hierarchy, and shades of gray even the
"written in stone" rules tend to warp and bend.

The largest sign of openness and indeed intelligence/maturity in my opinion is
the ability to identify what you know and separate it from what you feel. Then
knowing how to challenge those that feel with what you know, and learning to
accept the differences and compromises required to live/work together with
different feelings.

An even greater hurdle is to accept that what you know may in fact be feelings
and the eventual realisation that even known truths can contradict.

Challenge what you know...

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3