Re: Word misses typos - puts egg on writer's face?

Subject: Re: Word misses typos - puts egg on writer's face?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:14:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
Cc: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: October 15, 2003 03:06 PM

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote on 10/15/2003 02:47:46
PM:
> Did you mean to say a good editing?
> ___________________________
> Bonnie Granat
> Granat Technical Editing and Writing
> http://www.editors-writers.info

No, I meant to say exactly what I said. Unless you can come up with a source
that defines the difference between proofreading and editing that applies to
this case. The entries below are from Mirriam-Webster On-Line.

I suppose one could say that you proofread something prior to editing it. But
now we're needlessly splitting hairs aren't we.

----------------------------

I was just using the classical meaning of "proofreading," which is reading a
text and comparing it to a copyedited, marked-up version.

If you meant "proofreading" to mean what the writer does before turning a
document over to an editor for copyediting, then I think we are understanding
each other. I see that "proofreading" as part of the writer's job, and not
actually as "proofreading," which comes after any copyediting is done.

It's true that these functions become merged and aren't always distinct, but
having writers without copyeditors/editors is a good recipe for embarrassment
(or worse).

Bonnie Granat
Granat Technical Editing and Writing
http://www.editors-writers.info