Re: Microsoft Activation ... UGH

Subject: Re: Microsoft Activation ... UGH
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:45:24 -0700

<stephen -dot- arrants -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote in message news:216481 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-
> Why do you call it a nightmare? It isn't as if they have to give a blood
sample. The process is almost automatic, there are clear, well-written
instructions, and it works for the vast, vast majority of users.

I've given who knows how much blood over the years one (or more) vial at a
time. Except for the very rare incompetent phlebotomist, I've found the
experience less painful overall than software product activation.

> > No doubt MS will eventually refuse to issue activations on their old
> > products. "Old" meaning you are on a 2-3 year upgrade cycle. It
absolutely
> > kills MS that Win98/Office97 still works.
>
> And what's your source for this? At some point a user has to accept that a
company will end support for a product. I'd love to still be using Electric
Pencil on the TRS-80, but that's not possible. A company can invest in
support a swindling number of users of old products or invest in improving a
product line.

You would? I did some of my earliest programming on a TRS-80 Model II, yet
I'm happy I no longer have to type things such as

450 GOTO 1020

when I want to do some programming.

> > And it's not about theft or piracy, that's a red herring.. Product
> > activation is enough of a pain even if you are using a legal copy on one
PC.

> if it isn't about theft or piracy, then what *is* it about?

It's about the default assumption that anyone with a copy of the product is
a thief or a pirate until proven otherwise.

Sort of a fundamentally un-American philosophy.

Chuck Martin

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com