Need InDesign help bADLY?

Subject: Need InDesign help bADLY?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:06:11 -0400

Kirsten Zerbinis reports: <<I keep generating a blank table of contents, so
I can't submit the finished product to the client, and I'm behind deadline,
and the client is getting a bit miffed, and I'm really stressed out!>>

Can't help with InDesign, but the simple solution is to create the TOC
manually using copy and paste. Then you're finished the job, the client is
no longer miffed, and you've got time to troubleshoot the problem. Of
course, warn the client what the problem is, and tell them you'll resubmit
the job as soon as you've solved the problem. (That's to ensure that they
don't blithely update all the headings and suddenly discover the TOC is out
of synch.)

<<I'm using InDesign (the current version), and I think I have all the
settings right, but it keeps coming out blank *and* replacing all my written
text. There's something wrong with where it's looking to pull headings
from.>>

I've seen similar behavior in other software because the styles
automatically assigned to the table of contents entries by the software
(e.g., Heading 1 automatically gets formatted using the TOC Heading 1 style)
are corrupted. For example, the font color gets set to white for some
unknown reason. Not knowing InDesign at all, that's the first place I'd
look.

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++ programming language)

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com