Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?

Subject: Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?
From: "Peter Ring" <prc -at- prc -dot- dk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:53:59 +0200

Thanks to Eric L. Dunn and Richard G. Combs for some good popular explanations
about colors. I don't have very much to add here except this:

If you mix the three mature pure colors red, green and blue on paper, you get black.
The same is the case with cyan, magenta and yellow. Here Red=Yellow+Magenta,
Blue=Cyan+Magenta, Green=Cyan+Yellow. But you cannot create yellow from any
combination of red, blue and green.

If you put the three mature pure colors red, green and blue together on a light-
emitting screen (for example a cathode ray tube), you get white. And here
Yellow=Red+Green, Magenta=Red+Blue, Cyan=Green+Blue. Consequently, if you
had a screen with yellow, magenta and cyan phosphors, you cannot create pure red
blue or green.

But it's worse: Color models are a science with a wonderful mixture of empiric
models and mathematics where the whole trick is to use various technologies for
fooling the eye and the brain to "see" what you want it to see. Another way to make
the eye "see" colors is for example moving some specific black & white patterns with
certain speeds.

If you want more information you can for example search the web for "color model"
and "colour model".

But Eric L. Dunn wrote:

> Macs just have an advantage because when designing colours you can
> enter you CYMK values right away and not suffer any surprises when
> the screen values are converted for print. Mac users are insulated
> from the CYM to RGB process, but it happens. And as they are
> designing with CYMK values, they just blame the monitor and
> calibrate/adjust it if they're fussed about on-screen display.

But also PCs can work with CMYK values. It only depends on which application
program your are using. Examples of PC programs with CMYK facilities are
PageMaker, InDesign and Corel Draw ? just to mention a few. There are many more!

Greetings from Denmark
Peter Ring, PRC
The user-friendly manuals website: http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals
AcosHelp (context sensitive help with PDF-files): http://www.acoshelp.com

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com