Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?

Subject: Re: synchronizing color - not really possible today -- Honey: Didn't you say MACs can solve this?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

Apparently, I have been somewhat misinformed about the method by which Apple designed the color capabilities in the various Mac OS versions.

>From what I can determine, it appears that the internal storage is likely in the CIE model, since the ColorSync software understands the ICC profiles of the various input and output devices. Translation of the color, say, of an RGB image obtained from a particular scanner seems to be done internally for storage (perhaps, as you have indicated, in an RGB value but in a *different* RGB value than the original image...or so it appears. I have not yet found a comprehensive explanation of what point the transformation takes place--but it would have to be originally, since otherwise the storage requirements would get more complex than necessary!).

However, all of this said, support for a high-quality CMYK transformation has been present in the Mac for far longer than any such capability in the Windows world.

Since I have had very limited Mac experience, my exposure has simply been that for many years the ability of programs such as Photoshop or Quark to handle CMYK transparently was a very helpful quality--which is why many of the projects I have done for print have been on the Mac. However, obviously I was less concerned with learning the internals of how they have chosen to produce this result.

I appreciate the opportunity to update my understanding!

David

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com