RE: Single-sourcing, who's doing it?

Subject: RE: Single-sourcing, who's doing it?
From: "Mike Hiatt" <mhiatt -at- vocaldata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:57:12 -0500

Me, too. Much like Sean - only a late arrival to WWP in the last year or so. We use conditional text for print only and help only items, some of which may become universal one of these days for navigation within the PDF as well as the help.

We use lots of text insets and conditional text to share information between different documents. We have some chapters that are 90-99 percent re-used content. We have other chapters that have no re-used content. As usual - it depends on the material, if it's repeated somewhere else and whether we've had time to work out the logistics and convert the shared text to text insets.

We have a several phone user guides that are currently made up of two files that are the same for all phones, one file that uses lots of text conditional text to set up feature use conditions and one chapter that is nothing but conditionalized text insets for the general phone material. I hope to (one of these days) create text insets for each phone feature with separate text flows based on phone type so we can re-use this material in multiple ways across multiple documents.

Mike Hiatt
Manager, Tech Pubs
VocalData, Inc.
Dallas, TX (yep, that one)