RE: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: RE: Adobe adds product activation
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 07:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

> But I assume he KNOWS what the answer is, otherwise
> he would not have wasted the bandwidth with a reply.

Well, if you read your EULAs you'll notice that they
differ from product to product, depending on what it's
used for. So, yes, I know the answer. I gave it to
you. What you do with that answer is up to you. I'm
sorry you didn't like it, but the answer was correct.

> And the reason I have not read any of the msft
> UELA's in the first place is that 1) I don't believe
> in them 2) it doesn't
> matter what I think about what it says, msft Word
> (or Project or Excel or
> Access or whatever) is the program I _have_ to use
> at that time, and no
> matter how offensive the UELA, I'm going to use it.
> Or to put it another way, I have no choice.

First, it's not up to you to "believe in" a EULA. The
fact is, by opening and installing a commercial
program, you are bound by a usage agreement. It's your
choice as to whether or not you follow it, but
regardless, you *are* bound by it (just as you're
legally bound to many things, like not to steal or
murder, but some prefer to ignore those rules and do
it anyway).

Second, if it's the program you HAVE to use, then use
it. EULAs are not up to interpretation. What you
*think* it says is irrelevant. What it explicitly
states is what goes. Again, you can circumvent it, but
then you're bound to suffer the consequences should
they arise.

Third, you always have a choice. Don't fool yourself
in thinking your life is run for you. It seems you've
already made several choices on this issue.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com