Re: Starting a documentation team

Subject: Re: Starting a documentation team
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:01:38 -0400

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:32:59 -0700, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

The first thing I'd do is determine how I intend to structure the group
functionally. Will you use tech writers who both research and write
*and* do the production work (editing, formatting, indexing, etc.), or
will you have writers with specialized technical backgrounds and the
ability to recognize user needs and research and organize information
and support them with editing and DTP personnel? ...

Gene goes on to favor the latter approach. A shop where I worked years ago
tried something similar with great success. We could not find tech writers,
so we built them. We had tech typists, and we hired almost anyone with
a PhD who came looking for a job. No questioning about computer skills
or writing ability--the former could be learned, if necessary, and the
latter (the ability to organize a complex subject and to write about it
according to a predetermined style) is assumed of anyone who has completed
a doctoral thesis.

(There was a bit of trouble with HR over this. They didn't want to send
us anyone they hadn't screened for easy-to-measure stuff like computer
skills.) We got PhD's in English, math, chemistry, history, French,
physics, and several other areas. Nearly every one of them was a
shining success. Most of them became managers as the company grew. The
English PhD (now sadly passed away) also could type 90 wpm, but she kept
that a secret. She was probably the best writing manager I have ever met.

One of the keys here is not to be afraid to hire someone who is better than
you are.

Good luck.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com