Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:15:21 -0700

Most reasonably unbiased reviews I've seen agree with what you're finding:
that for the core Office applications, little is now and there is little
need to upgrade.

Outlook got a major overhaul (I was a beta tester and didn't much care for
the new design, but that's just me.) Some people say it's an improvement.
I'm not aware of Outlook being sold except as a part of an "Office System."

OneNote was originally part of the "Office System," but it got pulled late
in the game. If you're in a highly collaborative environment, some review
say the tools that support this are greatly improved.

When the beta 2 version of Outlook began crashing and disappearing every
time I clicked any button, I did my best to uninstall it (and I think I
still missed some Registry entries and files in some obsacure folder).

I saw one post somewhere that RoboHelp has issues with the new version of
Word. With eHelp being bought by Macromedia, it'll be interesting to see how
strongly Macromedia continues to support integration with Word (vs. working
to integrrate RoboHTML with Dreamweaver).

Some people here where I'm working (mostly the marketing and sales people)
have been upgraded and I hear they do like Outlook. But there, as the
company is a Microsoft Partner and we get the whole MSDN thing, we get
Office as a part of our regular bundles of CDs, so we don't pay anything
above and beyond the MSDN subscription anyway.

Chuck Martin

"John Fleming" <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote in message
news:217254 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

I jumped to Office XP from Office 2000, and with Word I didn't
see a lot of difference.

Office XP running on Windows XP does have some voice recognition
support, though for stuff like that I do prefer Dragon Naturally
Speaking.

The dictionary has a more extensive selection of varieties of
English than earlier versions.

I think it may have better support for foreign languages,
particularly Asian languages like Japanese and Chinese.

Otherwise, I didn't see much new.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com