RE: googling gone awry? or is the help really THAT bad?

Subject: RE: googling gone awry? or is the help really THAT bad?
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:05:29 -0400

Andrea Brundt wrote:

> We just got an email from a client asking if we would ever
> consider shipping
> "a software development tool called 'RoboHelp' that is useful for
> customizing help files" along with our product. This client
> thinks it would
> be great if we delivered not only a help file, but also this nifty little
> add-in that they can use to make the help file suit their needs.

The integration of vendor supplied documentation with local procedural
documentation is a significant problem in some industries. Aircraft
maintenance is one example, where each airline has its own set of procedures
which must be fully meshed with the documentation and updates provided, on a
regular basis, by the aircraft manufacturers.

User-extensible and integratable documentation would make sense in a lot of
applications. Documentation should be both referencable and annotatable. The
challenge is what happens when you try to integrate vendor supplied updates
with customer created annotation or links. The challenge is not
insurmountable, nor is it trivial.

Electronic delivery of information should lead naturally to this kind of
content integration. Unfortunately, most of us have not progressed beyond
delivering books on glass.
---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com