Re: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years - Help!

Subject: Re: Hi-Tech Company Hasn't Used Tech Writers in Years - Help!
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:39:34 -0700

My advice:

Get yourself a Hotmail or Yahoo email account for messages like
this one. It's unlikely that your non-writing bosses are prowling
your emails live on their server long after you've deleted them
from your outbox.

Apply the old "know your customer" rule. Who exactly thinks the
documentation is "incredibly bad?" I don't get the impression that
it's your manager. Is his manager breathing down his neck to improve
the docs? Is the customer? Having worked in your industry in the
past (15 years as one of those writing engineers), my guess is none
of the above. As an employee, your "customer" is first and foremost
the person who signs your employee evaluation, and if yours has a
system for documentation that he thinks is working and nobody over
his head is leaning on him to make changes, then your job is to
support that system and try to make it work better.

Gene Kim-Eng