Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)

Subject: Re: Can't search the PDF file. (Happier day)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:38:43 -0400

Emily Berk wrote a long and enjoyable rant that I've deleted.

Emily,

A couple of us have suggested that you look at the fonts being used, and--forgive me if I've missed it--I don't think you've responded to those comments.

Searchability in a PDF is very much font-dependent, and until you get a handle on that issue, you may continue to run into this sort of problem. This shouldn't require a "course in Acrobat," although given the poor quality of their help, I can understand your frustration.

Here's the problem. Fonts used to be pretty much all the same. They had a relatively uniform character set that Acrobat understood, whether they were Type 1 or TrueType. But now Microsoft has been gradually replacing the standard system fonts, with each new release of the OS and each new release of Office, with Unicode versions, OpenType versions, what have you. And these have very different mappings from the older fonts of the same names. MS doesn't help us when they keep the same file names along with the same font names but substitute a completely different type of font.

So what I would recommend is that you look at the fonts you are using. What directory are they in (something in the FrameMaker hierarchy, or the Windows\Fonts folder)? What are the file extensions? What are the file sizes? Are they in the 30-50K range? Are they in the 150K range? Are they in the 15MB range?

I am not suggesting that you need to redesign your documents to use a different typeface, only that in some circumstances you may need to select different font files for those same faces.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com