Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective

Subject: Re: Technical Writing and the Business Perspective
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

> To sum up: Goober is right. Do what your boss and
> other movers-and-shakers want, even when it is not
> the
> right thing (suck up), and eventually you will be
> dubbed "Sir Team Player," at which point you can try
> to change things for the better and your readers'
> benefit, if the brainwashing hasn't gone too far.

That interpretation certainly is valid in some cases,
but it was not my intent. My point is to remain
business focused, and to work to the benefit of the
business, not just the benefit of the docs or the
users. That is, if your business model works under 50%
product sales and 50% consultative service, you need
to keep in mind that though providing rock-solid docs
will help your customers, it will hurt the consulting
side of your business. You need to determine the happy
medium. In this case, meet regularly with the
consulting group and come up with a plan on how to
incorporate good info in the docs while giving the
consultants plenty of room to conduct their business
as well.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://shopping.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com