RE: What to do???

Subject: RE: What to do???
From: "Richard Burkhart" <richard -at- khanfusion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:58:49 -0800

I've spent 9 years so far as an editor/executive assistant at a company full
of Iranians / Sri Lankans / Pakistani / Connecticut natives. I don't have
too much to add to Wade's advice except:

a) Get a feel for the grammar patterns. Some of the problems I encounter
with non-native english writers are when they try to apply their native
grammar to English. They use proper word choices (tecnical ones), but
improper construction. If you know that your Russian engineers have a
tendency to say things in certain ways - you can anticipate what they're
trying to say, and work with it. As other people have suggested - getting
to know your co-workers will help with this.

b) For every rule in English, there's at least two exceptions. Native
speakers/writers know the exceptions automatically. Unfortunately, I have
problems telling my engineers *why* you should say a sentence *this* way
instead of *that* way. With my boss, I just say "The Force tells me I'm
right," and we start discussing the issue. (I'm also the office scifi
geek.)

and in my case:

c) Don't let ANYTHING the Connecticut-born Ph.D. writes leave the building
without three reviews.

ttylater

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com