A brief intro and a few newbie questions

Subject: A brief intro and a few newbie questions
From: newsletters -at- benbailey -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:53:47 -0700

First off, let me say that this site has been an excellent resource for
someone like me who is looking to enter the technical writing field. Thank
you.

I currently work as the sole systems administrator at a small private
school.

I really enjoy the documentation aspect of my job and want to pursue a
career in tech writing rather than systems administration. I would like to
eventually work on projects for open source and/or consumer software,
especially games and other entertainment related items.

While I do not have experience with formal documentation projects in team
settings, I have written several (rather simple) user guides and tutorials
for employers and various web sites. I have working knowledge of OSX,
Linux and all versions of Windows as well as a score of consumer apps such
as Photoshop, Office, etc.

Landing an entry-level position early next year is my goal. What types of
skills should I work on to help me get a good entry-level position? Can I
use the documentation I have created in the past as part of my portfolio?

I?ve read a lot about RoboHelp and FrameMaker, but do not have access to
these programs. Do companies expect entry-level writers to be familiar
with these applications?

Thanks,
Ben

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com