RE: STC blog discussing how to transform STC

Subject: RE: STC blog discussing how to transform STC
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:58:11 -0800

While I applaud the STC for this approach, it's a classic example of
poor information management planning. Observe that the first posting
(http://trans4mation.typepad.com/stc_transformation/2003/10/transforming
_st.html) already has 75 comments associated it. These comments range
all over the map, from requests for cheaper conference hotels to
re-organization schemes. And why not? The first entry's requests were
totally general.

However, this model doesn't really foster discussion. I want to reply to
several comments, but have no easy way to do so. Furthermore, it's going
to be a pain for the committee to manage and organize that information
for future reference. They're fortunate that there are hidden anchors in
the HTML, or they'd never be able to reference a specific comment.

Clearly this should have been a been a discussion forum, with committee
members posting specific questions and ideas, with a threaded
conversation to follow. That way multiple conversations can occur in
parallel, in different threads. If they're going to continue to use the
blog format (a good idea, when used correctly), they should be asking
very specific questions, so that the focus of the comments remains
narrow.

DB.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com