Cultural differences w. color perception (was re:What to do)

Subject: Cultural differences w. color perception (was re:What to do)
From: "Gary Robinson" <grobinson -at- deltadentalmi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:02:11 -0500

Richard,

FWIW. Here are a few links that might help with your problem. My
background is in Anthropology so I tried a few search terms that made
anthropological sense.

www.iscc.org/aic2001/abstracts/oral/Lee_KJ.doc
www.shibuya.com/garden/colorpsycho.html
www.carnrightdesign.com/color4business/color_communication.htm
www.iwips2002.org/downloads/AMA_XCult_13Jul02.ppt

A few years ago I was reviewing the GUI design for a software product
produced by the engineering firm I worked for at the time. The
software gathered data from several remote stations and the stations
were both enumerated and color coded. The lead programmer was from
China and presented a GUI which was wallpapered with colored disks
containing the station number. I remember Station One had rows of red
disks covering the entire window. It was difficult to pick out
individual controls in the GUI. The programmer could see nothing wrong
with the design and was quite upset when I wouldn't pass it into
production as it was. I have heard anecdotes from colleagues of mine,
both TWs and programmers, of other colorful GUI designs they have seen
from Asian programmers.

Regards,

Gary G. Robinson
Technical Communications Consultant