Re: What to do?

Subject: Re: What to do?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:29:45 -0800

"k k" <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message news:218035 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> > < Choo Choo Charlie was an SME,
> > < Choo Choo Charlie was his name we see,
> > < He had an engine and he sure had fun,
> > < He used Good and Plenty Candy to make his train
> > run
> >

> > But Choo Choo Charlie didn't have a degree...
> > So the CEO took away his train, you see...
> > And an engineer *sans* sheepskin is a sad, pathetic
> > blighter---
> > He usually ends up working as a technical writer.
> >

> And the technical writer sees all of the engineer's
> mistakes,
> And overcome with weariness his hoary head he shakes.
> For he knows that he will never get any useful changes
> made,
> And the %$# -at- ! engineer is promotable, and more dough
> is paid.

Hm. my sheepskin says "College of Engineering" on it. :)

> On a slightly more serious note: Would the folks on
> this list and the people who run the list server
> please update their defintion files, run their virus
> checkers, download and install the MS patches, et
> cetera ad nauseating. Somebody who has my email
> address in their address book also has the frabjapping
> geflugesheimer "Blaster Worm" on their system. Every
> day I have to delete at least seven or eight messages
> with 154kB attachments and subject lines like
> "Critical Network Update," and it is getting REALLY
> old.

Just so people know, it's not the "Blaster Worm," but the Swen virus, a
particularly nasty encumbrance that affects people here because it

- Scans NNTP servers for email addresses
- Has it's own SMTP server to send out email

I don't know if NNTP servers can be blocked from such scans, and if so, if
lists.raycomm.com has been so configured. Even if so, because this list is
still shadowed to bitnet, it appears on many publicly available news
servers, and they can possibly be scanned.

Like many here, I find it more convenient to use the lists.raycomm.com news
server than to get dozens of emails a day (or read once a day on digest).
However, because this is a closed, moderated list, I have to post to the
news server with a valid email address, the one I used to sign up. I can't
munge the address to post. (I'm sure Eric's probably way too swamped with
other stuff to come up with a workable system to be able to do this well.)

I suppose one solution would be to get a throwaway web-based email address
and the put a munged real reply email address in a sig file, but I haven't
gotten around to it. Meanwhile, the address I created to post here (one from
my own domain) gets just as deluged with Swen-infected emails--as does
another address I created specifically for participating on Macromedia's
Dreamweaver newsgroup (on its own server).

Effective ISPs and IT people should be able to configure your POP or
Exchange server to block and emails with the Swen virus before they can get
to your Inbox.

But yes, you should always have a good and regularly updated antivirus and
firewall program running these days. (Me, I might switch to PC-Cillin next
year because Norton added product activation to its 2004 suite. Wow, look,
real choice.)

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com