Microsoft wants journalists, not tech writers?

Subject: Microsoft wants journalists, not tech writers?
From: Lois Patterson <skycerulean -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:53:40 -0800 (PST)

I have snipped this from a job ad I got from another
list:

=======
Microsoft is trying a new approach to creating online
help for the next generation of Windows: rather than
hiring traditional technical writers, they are looking
for writers who have been writing how-to articles for
technology-oriented consumer magazines like PC
Magazine or technology-oriented consumer websites like
pcworld.com.

Microsoft is putting a LOT of time and resources into
making the next generation of Windows easier to use,
so if you want to make a difference to a few billion
people, this is the job for you!

It sounds to me like Microsoft wants its online help
to be as interesting as magazine articles. I presume
this means that their future writers will not use the
type of prose found in standard technical
documentation. Maybe there will even be some humor.

How do you think this would work? Is it a mistake to
exclude "standard" tech writers?

Lois Patterson

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com