RE: Documenting the Ordering Process

Subject: RE: Documenting the Ordering Process
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 11:00:48 -0800

I'm of two minds on this one. First, I concur with Andrew that you
should do the work. After all, that's what you were hired to do. On the
other hand, I am a big fan of the concept 'I am responsible for the
problems I perceive'. So, if you were really concerned about this
shipping goofiness, I would draft an alternative for the mucky-mucks,
and present it to them in a professional fashion. That way, not only
have you done your work, but you've also tried to resolve the issue, to
the best of your ability. Of course, don't let the latter delay the
former. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Capulet Communications
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.capulet.com

> "Anonymous" wrote...
>
> > I have to document the ordering process so it can be audited, to
> > ensure that the proper spare part makes not only the round
> trip from
> > China to the US, but also the round trip from Big City to
> Our City. My
> > boss calls this "fueling the economy" -- and that's not to
> mention the
> > double customs fees!

<snip>

> Just because you disagree with how something is designed,
> doesn't mean you have authority or the responsibility to fix
> it. If you're hired to document a process - document it. Let
> the facts in the document demonstrate the processes weakness.
>
> More succinctly - tech writers are generally hired to explain
> how things are, not how they would like things to be.
>
> Andrew Plato

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com