Re: Printing issues (PDF, ERROR: typecheck)

Subject: Re: Printing issues (PDF, ERROR: typecheck)
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:15:51 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

>> "ERROR: typecheck
>> OFFENDING COMMAND: restore
>>
>> STACK:
>>
>> 0.246218
>> 0-144311
>> 73
>> -savelevel-
>>
>> Has anyone ever experienced this?
>

> Yes. Your document is too big for the printer's virtual memory. Try
> printing the document in sections.

Hmm. I'm not an Acrobat/Postscript expert, but I seem to recall that each page in a PDF file is
self-contained image. So the printer only has to "remember" one page at a time. I suppose an
individual page image could be too bit for the printer to handle.

> Also, if this is a Xerox printer you're talking about, there are
> sometimes problems with certain kinds of graphics. If you determine that
> a particular page is the problem, try regenerating the graphics on that
> page, redistilling, and printing again. This can particularly be a
> problem with EPS graphics. Your best bet is to import them into Word in
> a different format or Paste Special > Picture.

That could be an issue with any brand of printer. It's always a good idea to keep a graphic as small as possible, consistent with acceptable picture quality. I prefer to keep my graphics in separate files, so I can fiddle with their format more easily. Simply pasting the graphic into your word process file puts you at the mercy of the word processor -- and what WP has any mercy at all? ;)

It's also important to remember that you don't need to use a postcript printer -- or the postscript mode of a printer that supports more than one page language -- to print out PDF or postscript files. If the printer manufacturer provides a driver for its own native language (PCL for HP printers) you'll get better results using that driver instead of a postscript driver. Acrobat doesn't care -- most of the time it just uses the OS API to send data to the printer driver, which then translates the API info into PCL or Postscript or whatever else the printer needs.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com