Re: Globalization vs exploitation

Subject: Re: Globalization vs exploitation
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:50:34 -0800 (PST)

"David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com> wrote in message news:218715 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Bob,
>
> When did you ever come to think that anyone has a right in international
trade, or business in
> general, or in life for a "level playing field?"

I'd say David's post on this matter is a quintessential summation of the issue.
As such, I have one small contribution:

What is happening with jobs these days is "commoditization." In many ways,
Americans invented and prosper because of commodity products and services. If
quality and "Made in the USA" really meant something to people, they wouldn't
shop at WalMart or buy Acuras. The fact is, people don't really care about
where something is made or even the quality sometimes. They want it cheap and
"good enough." This concept penetrates virtually every aspect of our economy,
including businesses. From consumer goods to professional services. I
experience this every day in my security consulting practice. Companies don't
really want good security. They want "good enough" security.

Its funny when people who complain about offshoring are then loading themselves
into a Toyota, jabbering away on a Panasonic cell-phone, while going to WalMart
to pick up made in China shoes. Why is it okay for consumers get the benefits
of purchasing Chinese made shoes, but when a corporate contracts some guys in
India, they're evil?

Commoditization is a fact of business and life. Its the reason DVD players cost
$50.00 now instead of $1000 as they did in 1996. Its also the reason why tech
writers get $30 now an hour instead of the $65 they got in 1998. Everything,
including labor, gets commoditized and becomes less-expensive per unit.

Andrew Plato

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com