More on Technical Writing in India

Subject: More on Technical Writing in India
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:36:03 -0800

I've refrained from commenting partly because this topic has the potential
to not only get off-topic for the list, but get into areas that some might
consider protectionist, racist, etc.

Still, while the discussion has been about offshoring, moving work to where
it can be done cheaper, I just saw a job post (which I won't post here, or
even a link to it) looking to hire a tech pubs manager who would be willing
to relocate to Bangalore for a year.

I just thought this puts an interesting twist on the argument. They are
looking for someone to go there on a contract basis and recruit and grow a
group there, "train" and "coach" writers there, and "lessen the dependency
on the [U.S. based] writing group," among other things.

I think someone pointed out the potential cost of the extra hand-holding
such an overseas group might negate the saving of cheaper labor, and this
post seem to acknowledge the possibility. The company who is looking to fill
this position apparently is willing to put up quite a bit of up-front costs,
including moving a spouse, relocation assistance, and even reimbursement for
getting visas, "shots," and possibly living expenses.

I think it'd be fascinating to see the numbers for all this being crunched.

But here's one politically charged question: Who would take such a position
knowing full well that the intent is to take jobs away from here (the U.S.)?
Or put another way, can you tell yourself that you will go overseas for a
year, create a dozen or more jobs there to reduce employment in your homeby
something close to the same amount, damaging the economy here, increasing
the total cost to government, etc.? Is it worth it to uproot yourself and
feed your own family and create a situation where many other families may go
unfed?

Part of the reason that I raise such questions is because I have a keen
awareness of how our actions can affect others. I refuse to subscribe to the
extreme self-centeredness that seems to permeate Western--and especially
U.S.--society. For example, almost 3 years ago I switched from an already
fuel-friendly car to an Insight, which not only sips gas at a miserly 55
MPG, but also pollutes at about 10 percent the amount of an average sedan.
Yet the initial cost was high, and car payments have become a more
significant issue since I was laid off and the economy made it (a) more
difficult to find work and (b) so that work that did crop up paid a lot
less. I've begun to think that I should sell the hybrid and get an
inexpensive used car that'll hold up for at least a couple of years. My car
payments--and insurance--would be decreased drastically, yet the cost to run
and maintain it would go up (the cost to buy gas would probably double). I'd
be using probably twice as much gas (adding to the foreign oil dependency,
which drives a lot of national political decisions) and polluting a lot
more.

I'm begiining to struggle with the question whether I can afford some of
these ideals. Perhaps improve my own situation, but at what cost?

To take such a job as described above, how much would that tug at your
conscience? Does that fact that we're in lean times and people are grasping
at anything that comes along make a difference?

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com