Re: More on Technical Writing in India

Subject: Re: More on Technical Writing in India
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:03:56 -0500

"Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote on 11/06/2003 03:41:16 PM:
> What's the difference between buying a product
> manufactured in another
> county, and moving to that country to work there? Is the
> difference only in
> degree, but not in kind?

Sorry, wasn't clear.
If your company sells product overseas, I don't think you have any right to
complain about overseas product being sold locally.

To further my arguments:
If it's the working conditions that appal you, campaign to INCREASE
globalisation by implementing workplace safety standards. When it comes to wages
and benefits, no two companies are the same in the either. Should all US
companies that sell their products for lower prices than their competitors
because of lower worker benefits be run out of business? Is it unfair?

Why do the same circumstances/issues concerning "overseas" producers garner such
vitriol? Granted the differences in wages and benefits are sometimes an order of
magnitude different, but so what. They're appropriate for that locale.

As is witnessed by the job offer for US talent to move to India, the local
workforce pool is drying up. That means upward pressure on Indian salaries. That
will make US writers more competitive again.

This whole provenance issue is mind boggling. People can't even get their
examples right. Sure I drive a Mazda and use a Panasonic cordless phone. I also
watch a JVC television. Does that mean I'm buying 'foreign' product?

Well, Mazda produces in the USA and Canada, buys parts from all over the world,
and employs management, sales, and customer support personnel locally. Their
design work is done all over the world.

My phone and TV are probably assembled in Mexico. Parts? Who knows. Design? Once
again who knows.

The company I work for? Bombardier sells it's rail cars in the USA with Made in
the USA stickers. While meeting the content laws, I'm happily employed here in
Canada as are hundreds of factory workers.

It's pretty difficult to stomach the simplistic arguments if you take more than
a cursory glance at the issue of the global marketplace.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com