Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustratio n"

Subject: Re: Seeking something like "The Elements of Technical Illustratio n"
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:03:03 -0500

Kim Roper wrote:

CB Casper opined:

Apparently you never experienced the *joy* of using GEM Draw. The closest comparison I can think of is the far superior
drawing tools found in Word. We produced technical drawings for use in the shop to build hardware.

How does it compare to using SAS/GRAPH on an IBM mainframe?

Cheers ... Kim
My rocks are older than your rocks. So there.

Well, excuse me, buckaroos, but I _INVENTED_ graphic output, more or less (hey, if it works for Al Gore ...). I wrote code to plot statistical functions by figuring out which column of a 120-column IBM 407 card lister to put an asterisk in (the Y-axis ran across the 120 columns; the X-axis ran down the paper). The sequence went something like this:

1. Modify the IBM 1620 Fortran compiler to write console output to the card punch.
2. Write Fortran program to first calculate the function and then convert numeric results to 120-column graphic output and send it to an 80-column card punch (two punch cards per printed line).
3. Wire patch board in 407 to handle the two-cards-per-line function.
4. Collect my $1.75 per hour pay.

This was for a medical research project, and the investigators had been accustomed to scanning columns of numbers and plotting them by hand if they wanted to see what the curve looked like. I think Calcomp plotters may have been available for mainframes in 1963, but they sure as heck weren't available for anything as small as a 1620.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com