OFFSHORING ARTICLE/Non-Writers As Writers

Subject: OFFSHORING ARTICLE/Non-Writers As Writers
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:14:14 -0600

Hello all,

Since there was such a flurry of emails about this concept, I decided to write a little article about it. Opine away. Forgive the typo's I've only had one (1) TAB (and yes, Coca-Cola still makes them!) Some of this please take tongue and cheek!

Story Snippet regarding everyone who thinks they are a writer:

Youre a psychologist, general physician, graphic designer, a mom and suddenly you think that just because you graduated high school, received your GED, or actually went to college and maybe graduated that you can string words together?

§ Have you written and thrown out your work? Repeatedly?
§ Have you ever been published? Or is that just a pipe dream?
§ Do you read everything you can get your hands on?
§ Do you journal?
§ Do you read or write every single day?

What makes people that havent studied words think that they can be writers? Frankly Im sick of feeling undercut on my rate because some schmo thinks they have it in them to create a wonderful, engaging poem, story, magazine article or book. Sure, you might say, thats why there are editors or proofreaders or ghost writers, but why should we do all that work and not get any credit for it? Does that make sense? Thousands of hours writing and editing our own work, not to mention thousands of dollars working on post-secondary degrees in the analysis of words; day after day after day for four years, six years sometimes even eight years.
There is this dissemination of writing-- it isnt a valued occupation. If I wanted to be a lawyer and didnt go to law school I just simply could not be a lawyer---but a writer? Well, no qualifications needed there, write out some vomitus and have some else edit it at a rate of $1/page and then make your $5000 for your article.

If I wanted to be a sales representative, or a financial planner for Primerica hawking life insurance that no one would need if they saved their money religiously and believed in euthanasia when it was the right time, say around 80, well then I could get an occupation like that as long as I passed my brokerage tests. But the sales position, well, no employer would hire me if I didnt have experience, but theyd publish Mr. CEO or Ms. Homemaker without a writing degree or any practical knowledge.

Whats happened to us? The people who studied language and words along with the analysis of writing? Were been marginalized and our jobs are leaping across the ocean in a concept called off-shoring.

Krautgrrl

--
Michele

I'm tired of non-porous sponges that live in pineapples under the sea.
www.krautgrrl.com

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com