Re: To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)

Subject: Re: To Mr. Cronin (was Re: Offshoring: San Jose Mercury News article)
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:23:31 -0700

KK wrote

> Yes I am willing to make buying decisions according to
> criteria other than price alone....

I'm both surprised and impressed by your response. You're a rare person in
that you seem to be putting your money where your mouth is - good for you.

I confess that I find the process of "buying American" (or any other
chosen nationality) increasingly difficult, as more and more international
fingers get poked into the production pie. My old Chevy Spectrum was built
in Japan, to the best of my knowledge, on a Mitsubishi chassis. So what
country did my purchase support?

As solid as I found your post to be, I do however disagree with this
assertion:

> They weren't offshoring jobs by the carload back
> before the stock market tanked.

Maybe not tech writing jobs. But how about jobs related to the production
of cars, consumer electronics, toys, muscical instruments, etc.? If you
think our buying trends had no effect, you must not have lived in an
industrial town during any of the many recessions we've had decades prior
to the dot bomb dropping. My first job in Indiana after graduating from
college in 1982 (in the middle of one of those nasty little recessions)
was scrubbing toilets, and it was a job I was lucky to find.

What's going on now is nothing new. It's just the first time we've felt
the effects so directly in our little professional niche.

Keith Cronin
Tech writing. Who knew the gold rush wouldn't last forever?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com