RE: A Few Job Responsilities

Subject: RE: A Few Job Responsilities
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:12:40 -0800

The difference is the writing taught in creative writing courses vs. the language we're supposed to use as a tech writer. In technical writing, we're supposed to limit our vocabulary and use words consistently. Repeatedly. Invariably. In "ordinary" writing--what I might do for a magazine article, or a piece of fiction--it's considered dull to use the same word 3 times in a sentence, unless it's for rhetorical purposes. (I've always wondered if people lose their grasp of synonyms once they pick up an installation guide.)

Anita
"I'm not a crook."
--Richard Nixon, 17 November 1973