Re: STC Salary survey??

Subject: Re: STC Salary survey??
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:37:27 -0500

G. Abenhaim wrote:
> low salaries for the jobs posted. It seems they all want technical senior
> responsibilities for junior salaries. How is that possible? is the market
> doing this to our industry?

Here is the ancient wisdom, the source of the "supply and demand" mantra:

http://www.bartleby.com/10/107.html
> The market price of every particular commodity is regulated
> by the proportion between the quantity which is actually
> brought to market, and the demand of those who are willing to
> pay the natural price of the commodity...
> If at any time [supply of a commodity] exceeds the effectual
> demand, some of the component parts of its price must be paid
> below their natural rate..."

(Admittedly, Adam Smith's theories apply to today's political economy about
as well as Newton's theories apply in the quantum universe.)

In an oversupply situation, the trick is to either avoid being a commodity,
or seek shelter in some place where the market-leveling forces have not yet
penetrated. For tech writers, that means the usual advice applies: Learn new
skills, or get a job in an industry that is still profitable and pays higher
than the average.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com