XML schema for documentation - looking for resources

Subject: XML schema for documentation - looking for resources
From: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:45:55 -0500

Does anyone have any good resources (online, print, whatever) that discuss
XML schemas when using XML for documentation, rather than transfer or
display of data from a database? I have googled on varying terms (XML for
technical writers, XML schema for technical writers, etc.), I have also done
a couple of free online courses for XML, and read a couple of books (XML
quick start guide, XML for dummies). What I'm really looking for is some
examples of schema (not DTDs) written for technical documentation. I'm
trying to develop an XML schema for a prototype project, and I'm getting
stuck on the content/format trap - I'm so used to desktop publishing and
HTML that I'm having a hard time getting the hang of describing WHAT the
content is rather than HOW the content should look. I'm also trying to
figure out how far I should break down the individual types of content.

We do have XML resources (as in people) here in house; however, they only
work with XML from the programming standpoint (our software uses XML to
transfer data from different modules in our software as well as to other
databases). They can help with the nitty gritty details, but I'm looking for
more of a high level type of thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Karen Casemier