Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?

Subject: Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?
From: Carol Gilbert <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:15:34 -0800

Before I went into technical writing I had been a teacher. Took some programming classes and moved into high-tech as an entry-level programmer. Within a year, the software trainer left. I got the job. I built a small department for S/W training, and then later took on managing Configuration Management a small technical library and Shipping & Archiving. Years later, I backed out of so much responsibility and kept S/W Training. As the "bad" years became apparent, I turned my focus to just the technical writing aspect, since there appeared to be a need in that area and in S/W Training we had done a lot of writing anyway. I really liked it and have enjoyed just being responsible for me ever since then. :-)

I think you could start at technical writing and move into any of those areas plus I know I have done a lot of QA, graphics, and Web work. You could also move into other writing genre too. - Carol Gilbert

On Friday, November 21, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Scott Abel wrote:

If you had another career before you became a technical communicator, what
was it and why did you decide to pursue technical communication?

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com