RE: What job did you have before you became a technical communica tor?

Subject: RE: What job did you have before you became a technical communica tor?
From: "Stitzel, Ken" <kstitzel -at- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:06:14 -0700

I was a stagehand. (Still am, part time. Fun, but can't make a living at
it.)

I got into tech writing because it was the geodesic between me and a degree.
The university program was one of the few that encouraged an outside
specialty, which catered to my concentrations in astronomy, math, computer
science, urban planning, art, photography, and almost one in music.

(ObReference to "Doorways in the Sand" by Roger Zelazny, whose hero was an
acrophiliac who had been a full-time undergraduate student for 13 years,
changing majors before actually graduating in anything, thanks to a generous
stipend from the estate of a rich uncle. A lot like my college
situation--except for the stipend and the rich uncle.)

If I had a viable choice right now, I would do something else. As Andrew
Plato pointed out in his interesting post about what TWs move on to, the
opportunities are limited.

Fred Cassady,
er, Ken Stitzel
Synergetics, Inc. for ITC-NRCS-USDA