Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?

Subject: Re: What job did you have before you became a technical communicator?
From: Kevin Montgomery <robertm -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:08:50 -0800

Well....

I was an owner and president of a manufacturing company in a sporting goods market. Had as many as 30 employees. Designed products, specified materials, dealt with bankers and lawyers, wrote technical papers and worked on industry standards and, best of all, rode my bicycle around the country for pay. That was a pleasant five years.

Following that, I had a business summarizing depositions and other transcripts for law firms defending in civil litigation. Also created some interesting databases. A friend in another city had a team of tame TWs on hand who did most of the actual work. I'd pick up documents in hard or soft copy, then send the hardcopy by Fedex or squirt the softcopy by 1200-baud modem. I'd download, print, and deliver the finished product the following morning. It was tough: I frequently had to interrupt long, dreamy days of kayak surfing when my pager would go off. Not a bad few years there, either.

The TW contract job I took a dozen years ago just got out of hand <g>. I enjoy being a TW and I work for a great company. I'm still a small businessman in remission, though. One day at a time....

Kevin

At 12:07 PM 11/21/2003 -0500, Scott Abel wrote:

Okay, the last post in my series of probing questions... I'm writing an
article about technical communication and wanted to toss this question out
for a few responses.

If you had another career before you became a technical communicator, what
was it and why did you decide to pursue technical communication?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Scott Abel

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com