RE: Word problem: headers and footers

Subject: RE: Word problem: headers and footers
From: Faith Weber - ESC <faithw -at- esystem -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:13:59 -0800

Hi Ron,

I can relate! Try making the section break "Continuous" instead of "Next
Page". With the cursor anywhere *after* the section break containing the
formatting you want to keep:

1. On the File menu, click Page Setup. The Page Setup dialog box appears.
2. On the Layout tab next to Section Start, select Continuous. Click OK.

I didn't think this was very intuitive, either -- I was trying to figure it
out while working on proposals, where I'd get requests at the last minute to
switch sections around, delete sections, split or combine sections, or add
sections at the last minute. (Ack!) I still make a backup copy before
messing with anything related to section breaks.

One more note, which may or may not matter for what you're doing: page
numbering/formatting associated with a continuous section break starts on
the next page -- in other words, the page containing the break uses the
formatting of the previous section. Just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps,
Faith Weber

Subject: Word problem: headers and footers
From: rsering -at- comcast -dot- net
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:20:08 +0000

Hi all,

I have taken an assignment to reformat a bunch of rather long Word
documents.

One of the requirements is to break each chapter out into separate
documents. The problem I'm having trouble with, is that each chapter has a
section breaks, the header and footer formatting is lost for the whole
document. I can manually reinsert the lost material, but this is not very
time-effective.

There must be something I'm missing in all of this. Is there a way of
working with either the page setup options or the section breaks to keep the
formatting even when earlier sections of the document are removed?

Thanks,

Ron Sering

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com