RE: The Myth of Seven, Plus or Minus Two

Subject: RE: The Myth of Seven, Plus or Minus Two
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:55:31 -0500

"David Locke" <dlocke -at- texas -dot- net> wrote on 12/03/2003 10:04:33 AM:
> The problem comes down to whether you are writing a manual
> or help. If you
> are writing a manual, then you are not in the "Do"
> context, you are in the
> "Learn" context, and the recall limit applies. If you are
> writing help, then
> you are in the "Do" context, and the recall limit does not
> apply. Try single
> sourcing when you don't apply the limit in both places.

> David Locke

Rubbish. After successfully graduating from engineering I can tell you that
there are many theories, algorithms, concepts, etc. that require many more than
any arbitrary number of points to correctly comprehend.

The Miller study is for IMMEDIATE recall of UNIDIMENSIONAL data.

Sorry to be blunt, but the illogic of saying "learn" mode is limited by some
artificial number of elements is stunning IMO. Do actors only learn 7 words at a
time? 7 lines? 7 acts? Of course not. The same applies to all other
multidimensional data and recall. All modified by the fact of whether the
learned material needs to be learned and repeated by rote (an apt word for the
description of Miller's work: 1 : the use of memory usually with little
intelligence <learn by rote> 2 : routine or repetition carried out mechanically
or unthinkingly <a joyless sense of order, rote, and commercial hustle -- L. L.
King>) or whether the material needs to absorbed and comprehended.

If needs to be absorbed and comprehended, no rote following of an arbitrary rule
will help. That's where the useful professional writer uses their intellect and
understanding of the subject matter to organise and classify the data and
information to aid the reader. To simplify as much as possible, but no
further...

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com