Re: flash and IE

Subject: Re: flash and IE
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:40:15 -0800 (PST)

Permit me to add a vote that "flash is intrusive and annoying".

It is correct that Flash has not been shipped as part of IE but has been downloaded by individuals or installed by software.

It is also correct that many people despise it...and that software that *requires* IE or any other particular browser is, IMHO, ill advised. As Microsoft loses hegemony in the market to an increasing extent, IE will similarly become "just another browser." Further, given the incessant discovery of security holes in it, IE simply represents a potential black hole.

(Of course, pardon my saying so but using a Hotmail address, you may not care much about security anyway.)

Therefore, supporting at least one cross-platform solution such as Mozilla would go far to avoid alienating users who don't particularly care to have software companies make their decisions for them on all details.

Unfortunately, many of the "PHB" types aren't very amenable to reason.

David

-----Original Message from Andrea Brundt <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com>-----

Hi there!

I'm exploring the possiblity of delivering some content to clients on a
CD-ROM or over the Web. I'd like to incorporate Flash animations, but I need
information about which versions of the Flash player were part of a typical
installation of earlier versions of IE. I've googled for a while, but
haven't found much.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com