Re: OT: UC Berkley Extension Classes

Subject: Re: OT: UC Berkley Extension Classes
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:46:37 -0800

Dotcommers and other industry people often teach night/weelend classes in
many places, not just "university" level.

I've had both good and bad experiences (my current experience in a
Dreamweaver class is one of the less enjoyable ones), but I've avoided the
UCB extension. Why? Too doggone expensive.

Up until the recent California budget crisis, community college classes were
$11/credit. Now they are $18/credit, still a bargain. Next semester I plan
on taking an "Advanced Internet" calss, which shoul teach me how to develop
database-driven web sites and how to set up web servers, among other topics.
Next year I'll probably delve into .NET.

Teaching doens't pay much for the work involved. San Francisco State has
advertised for someone to teach a 3-credit technical writing course and I
think they were paying a whopping $3000 for the quarter/semester. Figure 3
hours of class time per week, the time preparing and correcting, office
hours, etc., and even in this economy, the $$$/hour start looking thin,
especially to programmers.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and break
all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

"Isaac Rabinovitch" <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net> wrote in message
news:221670 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> My sister,
>
> http://www.napavalley.edu/writersconf/staff.html#willa
>
> teaches there occasionally. Back when she was a novice writer, she took
classes at Extension, and
> spoke quite highly of them. She still does of course, but she's no longer
objective....

> I've taken some programming classes from UCB extension. My experience was
much less positive. Too
> many classes taught by moonlighting dotcommers out to make a quick extra
buck without much actual
> work. Extension/adult/community/vocational schools often provide a very
good educational product --
> but the caveat should always emptor.
>
> Wade Courtney wrote:
> > Has anyone taken any of the UC Berkeley Extension writing classes,
> > specifically the creative writing classes?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com