Re: Relative URLs/Query Strings as TOC/Index Links in HTML-based Help

Subject: Re: Relative URLs/Query Strings as TOC/Index Links in HTML-based Help
From: bcliver -at- manu -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:00:28 -0500

What you're doing sounds very cool.

>We are at the stage now where we are trying to determine if we can link
to the XML-generated topics directly from >the help system's TOC and
index. In order to do that, we would have to use relative links and query
strings as TOC >pages and index links, because the XML files are going to
actually be stored within the program itself, not with >the rest of the
static help files (and because each customer will have different server
names and therefore >different paths to the information). Here is an
example of what the programmers would like to do to link to the XML
>pages:

>help.aspx?topic=partpage&xml=file.xml

Basically, everything after the ? is a query in URL speak. We solved a lot
of this by using variables stored in config files or database tables. Yes,
developers still call the help with a URL. Use variables, lots of them.
For example, the server name (and port) could be a variable,
%URL%=http:\\servername:port. Each application can have a similar variable
to provide the path to the help.

We also use categories of topics, for example, appa_topic1, appa_topic2,
appb_topic1, etc. If the web page links to to appa_topic1, the developer
builds the path to the help based on appa. The developer uses a properties
file to associate appa with a path to a help file. In this way, appa
becomes a variable for the application name. String the variables
together, and you get the help.

It looks like you're a Microsoft shop, but I would use lowercase for
everything. If you port to UNIX, case sensitivity won't give you a
headache.

>Does anyone know if this is possible? We are not tied to any one tool,
but ideally we wouldn't have to create the >TOC and index completely by
hand. Browser will be IE (we could potentially dictate browser version),
and we don't >have to worry about cross-browser compatibility.

We provide dynamic help based on the what the user has installed. We use
Webworks Publisher, but it did not provide a dynamic help solution. With
some minor programming, we build a merged and consolidated help system at
installation.

Barry Cliver
Lead Technical Writer
Manugistics, Inc.