revising a tw course -- more info

Subject: revising a tw course -- more info
From: Joe Pellegrino <joe -dot- pellegrino -at- charter -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:03:56 -0500

Gentles,

Thanks to all who have responded to my query about revising a tw course. While commenting on my list of projects, many of you asked for more info about the course. Here's some:

Course Objectives:

During this course, a student will be exposed to and practice the following:

Analysis and understanding of writing situations, audiences, and purposes
Creating documents that fulfill those purposes and the audiences’ needs
Honing his or her prose skills
Designing elegant and efficient document layouts
Integrating graphic communication into his or her writing
Understanding and utilizing rudimentary electronic literacies

Textbook:

Anderson, Paul V. Technical Communication: A Reader-Centered Approach.

Classroom focus:

These are the topics that I try to cover throughout the semester. Some are from the textbook, but most are from experience.

How and why people read various documents
Audience analysis
The TW as negotiator (between SMEs and audiences)
Ethical considerations in the field
Conducting client meetings
Defining objectives
Planning documentation strategies
Planning documents within those strategies
Being up front about persuasion
Creating realistic goals for your documents
Conducting research (the internet, interviews, libraries, surveys)
Drafting
Document organization and formatting
Introductions and conclusions
Clarity and precision in prose
Using graphics
Explaining charts and graphs
Consistency and clarity in document design
Evaluating, revising, and editing
Elements of bad writing and design (my favorite days of the semester)
Working with a team
Self- and group evaluation

Thanks again,

Joe Pellegrino

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com