Online editing courses?

Subject: Online editing courses?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:25:25 -0500

Roberta Hennessey wonders: <<Can anyone recommend an on-line editing course?

Depends. Do you mean "an online (Internet) course that teaches one how to
edit", or a course on "onscreen editing using MS Word"? There are several of
the former (see below), but considerably fewer of the latter--unless you
want to hire me as a consultant. <g> I'm going freelance in 2004, and one of
the things I hope to do is start offering workshops on onscreen editing
based on my quarterly column for STC's Intercom magazine. Midway through
2004, I hope to be giving the occasional workshop for various STC chapters,
so if you're a member, keep your eyes open.

Intercom, incidentally, is a good place to look for some tips. You can see
my columns for free if you know someone who has back issues going back about
4 years to when the column started. And Don Bush has been writing "The
Friendly Editor" column for probably 15 years now, if not longer, and that's
an excellent place to look for advice.

<<Or, where might be a good place to start searching?>>

Join the copyediting-l discussion group
(http://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/copyediting-l.html) and you can become
part of a very friendly community with many experienced editors who can help
you with questions ranging from "something's wrong with this sentence" to "I
have no idea what this job involves". (I'm there too. No, I don't know how I
find time to get my paying work done. <g>) The archives mention several
online courses that teach you how to edit.

--Geoff Hart, ghart -at- [delete]videotron -dot- ca
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Wisdom is one of the few things that look bigger the further away it
is."--Terry Pratchett

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com