Re: that whole outsourcing thing

Subject: Re: that whole outsourcing thing
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:48:36 -0500

Sean Hower wrote:
> Heard a report on NPR this morning about the current trend of
outsourcing...
> "A growing number of U.S. firms are sending white-collar jobs -- such
> as customer support and IT positions -- to other nations based on promises
> of huge cost savings. But lack of planning, high employee-turnover rates
> and industrial espionage raise questions about the benefit of such moves.
"

I always wondered why PHBs who can barely manage a project with a group of
developers down the hall, think they can manage offshore employees any
better.

It's been widely predicted that there will be some kind of pullback from
aggressive offshoring as businesses begin to identify which work is
appropriate to be offshored and which is not. Also note that as US salaries
drop, offshoring becomes relatively less attractive.

Downsizing/rightsizing... Japanese management... reengineering.... Y2K...
dot-com... and now offshoring. All these things are fads that reached
insane levels before they peaked. But after the hysteria ends, the basic
principles of the fad become integrated into mainstream business practices,
and the world moves on.

Sounds like the market is entering a period of chaos, which should provide
happy hunting grounds for experienced consultants.

Mike O.

"Sean Hower" <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> wrote in message
news:223040 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Heard a report on NPR this morning about the current trend of outsourcing.
here's the intro to the story

> "A growing number of U.S. firms are sending white-collar jobs -- such as
customer support and IT positions -- to other nations based on promises of
huge cost savings. But lack of planning, high employee-turnover rates and
industrial espionage raise questions about the benefit of such moves. "

> You can listen to the story here.
>
> http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgDate=18-Dec-2003&prgId=3
>
> It's about half way down the page.

> Sean Hower - tech writer