Re: Cost to redesign a company website

Subject: Re: Cost to redesign a company website
From: David Tremblay <techwrit -at- mediom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:38:21 -0500

Peter wrote:

David Tremblay wrote:

Not reasonable at all, with that figure (over 15k) I would give you a dynamic DB driven website with an open-source CMS and the hosting/maintenance for at least one year plus the CMS formation and customized documentation. I would also do lawnmowing, car wash a care your children while you write the content (just kidding I hate car washing) And most of my webdevelopper/integrator/programmer freelance buddies would aggree with me

I've gotta go with the person who said, without specs how can you tell if the price is reasonable or not. There are static designs the cost a few hundred dollars which can be quickly created in Front Page in a few hours. There are dynamic designs, including content structuring, for which the price limit is your pocketbook. How much is a piece of art worth?

I probably jump the gun a bit fast but a 15 pages for 15k even with a lot of art work is basically expensive. I know there's the security caveat

Security is not a just a simple matter of turning it on and off.

If you want to password protect a directory without encryption, yes it is.

Design and implementation of a security policy is a combination of art and science. A lot of money may be charged just for the decision whether simple password protection is sufficient.

Exactly, but she wasn't talking about ecommerce or sensitive information just "content" for the client (ongoing work for example), but I agree, security can come at an heavier price

Such decisions must be made as: what is the relationship between the server and the network; location of the server; what type of firewall[s] to use; which password security algorithm is needed; how will key exchange be accomplished; does the company need a bastion server; will the security interfere with access; and of course, is the security design compatible with the mentality of management; etc. The charge is for decisional and implementation skills as well as content design and orientation.

Well stated and all those choices should make'em think a lot before hosting a website by themselves.

We don't have the specs but from what she told us, the decision to have inhouse server for 15 pages (even for 30) is overkill, and all the decisions and sysadmin tasks that come with such a decision is also overkill, unless the content is so sensitive that you shouldn't trust an host company. In this case I really recommend not putting this stuff on the internet. This is basic security, don't show stuff you don't want people see, yet better, don't say it exists.

David

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com