OY! Writer/Programmer Question re: Recruiter

Subject: OY! Writer/Programmer Question re: Recruiter
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:26:22 -0600

Oh, it's that krautgrrl again with her inane questions. <ok, i'm a little self deprecating today, it's been a bad customer service day, trust me on this one>

A recruiter sent this to me, I deleted the boring stuff:

I'm working with a client here that is in need of a
contractor to design and develop on-line learning curriculum; maintain and enhance current infrastructure of the on-line courses and databases and be skilled in the following areas: Authorware, Shockwave, JavaScript, Active Server Pages (ASP), SQL Server (stored procedures, knowledge of T-SQL), and Photoshop, as well as knowledge of data transformation.

Specific responsibilities include..

Contractor will ensure ongoing operation of current on-line learning system; maintain existing courseware, utilities, Web site, and database-resolving any problems that arise and making any needed adjustments. Technical support to personnel will be provided and all reports and system documentation will be maintained and updated.

Contractor will work to protect software, media, and information assets by regularly backing up files, safeguarding source materials, and ensuring data integrity.

Contractor will revise and enhance existing courses and augment the on-line learning Web site as required by curriculum designers.

Contractor will work with personnel to create and maintain reports that examine course completion, utilization, and other aspects of the learning system as needed. Reports will be created using technologies such as JavaScript and Active Server Pages or industry standard reporting tools such
as Crystal Reports.

Existing documentation will be maintained and updated and new
documentation created as needed. In addition, contractor will maintain an on-going work log.

Contractor will modify and enhance the capabilities of the Web site according to training and administrative needs.

Four new hours of on-line training will be delivered by: 1) leveraging existing technology to produce new courses that are similar in functionality to existing courses and 2) developing new technology that can serve as the delivery vehicle for multiple courses.
-------------------------------------
Now my response:

<don't bash me for my sense of humor, most of my clients says it is one of my best qualities and they like working with me because of it>

Just to hit on your high notes:

I do not have a resume that lists years of experience next to instructional design, WBT, Authorware, etc. It would be a process in futility for me to remember exactly what year I was introduced to Authorware. I can say I started instructional design of hands on curriculum in 1989, with Word for the Mac.

Yes, I was born and bred in America, however if you'd offer me a position in the UK, Germany or France I would gladly apply for a Visa.

As an instructional designer I do know Authorware, Javascript, Photoshop (of which I am a phenomenal plastic surgeon), basic file management and administration. I wrote a whole curriculum on Crystal Reports so I do know it but am a bit rusty. In the above role at a company I would charge ~$XX/hr, 1099, no benefits. Flextime an absolute. Some work at home time a must.

However, the real problem lies in the fact that you want a programmer AND instructional designer. Usually one person cannot handle all the asks you are looking to accomplish. I would highly suggest you split this role into two positions.

I know some Oracle, because it was free and it's on our Linux box. I also did Oracle ID courses---but MS SQL Server is a whole 'nother breed of animal for me.
I really and truly believe that they should split the position in two, what do y'all techwhirlers think?
--- Michele

"Don't be economical with the truth." Meighan McGuire
www.krautgrrl.com

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com